Intermediate Plan: Fats
Email this article to a friend
Dr. Mercola's Nutrition Plan
Since you've made many of the essential changes for fat consumption in the beginner phase, the intermediate phase instructions are quite simple:
- As I've said in the carbohydrate section for this level, never eat commercially prepared French-fries. They are one of the most toxic foods you could eat. Most contain 100 percent trans fatty acids.
- Eliminate margarines, as they are another source of trans fatty acids.
- You should regularly be consuming krill oil regularly by now, as it is one of the few and best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that most people are sorely lacking in their diet but are essential to optimal health.
- Olive oil is not only acceptable but highly recommended as it has a fat in it called squalene. This is a potent antioxidant and will protect the fish oil from going rancid (becoming oxidized) once it is in your body.
- Avocados, walnuts, egg yolks, coconut oil and butter are additional sources of acceptable fats.
If you have not been nutritionally typed then I highly recommend you start the process as soon as possible. You can get started by taking my free online Nutritional Typing test. Here is a very general guideline to follow in the meantime, though: the more you enjoy steak and feel good with it, the greater the percentage of fat you will need in your diet. If you feel wonderful as a vegetarian and comfortable with very little meat, then you will likely need much closer to only 15 percent of fat in your diet.